Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Blogging Through the #Gospels : Luke 1A

So exciting to start a new Gospel with Amy from Mom's Toolbox.  Come and read/blog along with us!

Reading:  Luke 1 : 1 - 38

Sripture:  Luke 1: 38


Observations:


I adore the first chapter of Luke!!  Ever since I saw the movie The Nativity Story the,  I can really see Elizabeth and Zecharaiah.  I can picture Elizabeth, dealing with the shame of barrenness in a culture that reveres having children above nearly all else.  I can see Zechariah trying to communicate that he had just see an angel.

In fact, during my first read-through, I chose these verses.



6 Both of them were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commands and decrees blamelessly. 7 But they were childless because Elizabeth was not able to conceive, and they were both very old.

They were righteous in the sight of God.  The reason Elizabeth was childless was because of the blessing that He was holding for them!

But then I read further, and my heart again trembled with the bravery and faith of a young girl.  She didn't question God's ability--- only the logistics, and I love that the angel simply answered her, without rebuke.  There are no further details, but you can infer that when Zechariah was asking his question, it was incredulous, bordering on doubt.  When Mary asked, there was no doubt.  Just a wondering of how it was to take place.

38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.

There are so many simply amazing things in this account.

1)  A young girl, finding favor  with God.
2) Hand picked by God to bring the Savior of the WORLD into the Earth.
3) Accepting what was foretold with faith.
4) Being afraid, yet knowing that what God was doing was more important than the culture's standards and ideals, and eventual accusations.

She takes my breath away.

Application:


She was young enough to still have her child-like faith.
An older, wiser woman might have thought too much of the cultural implications and balked in fear.
But a young girl, just approaching the season of womanhood, perhaps was open enough to accept the truth when the angel presented it to her.

Her faith....
It astounds me.

Prayer:


Lord,
Help me to have the unfettered, undistracted faith of Mary.  Help me not to be weighed down by what I know to be true of this world.  Help me to be free because of what I know to be true of YOU.

Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar