Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels: Matthew 28

Well, we have made it through Matthew.  I was telling my husband about what I had learned from my Blogging Through the Gospel reading and application yesterday, and was overwhelmed (and so grateful) that I am getting exactly what the Lord wants me to hear, and I am not using a book study, or anything else.  I used to need the structure of having verses to look up and questions to answer.  But with just the SOAP guidelines, and the reading plan, the Lord is opening up His Word to me in a way that I always wanted it to be but never knew how to get there.    So, please... if you are in the middle of devotional books, or just wanting a fresh start to your quiet time-- PLEASE try it for yourself.


Reading:  Matthew 28


Scripture: Matthew 28: 8 - 10

8 The women ran quickly from the tomb. They were very frightened but also filled with great joy, and they rushed to give the disciples the angel’s message. 9 And as they went, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they ran to him, grasped his feet, and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t be afraid! Go tell my brothers to leave for Galilee, and they will see me there.”   -- New Living Translation




8-10The women, deep in wonder and full of joy, lost no time in leaving the tomb. They ran to tell the disciples. Then Jesus met them, stopping them in their tracks. "Good morning!" he said. They fell to their knees, embraced his feet, and worshiped him. Jesus said, "You're holding on to me for dear life! Don't be frightened like that. Go tell my brothers that they are to go to Galilee, and that I'll meet them there."
-- The Message


Observation:
I read this chapter five times, in four different translation.  This is the section that always stood out to me, but  *insert a huge moment of revelation (to be explained later)*  I didn't really know why. So I switched from NIV to NLT.  Same thing.  Then to NKJV.  But it wasn't until I read it in The Message, and I read the rendition, "You're holding on to me for dear life!" that it all clicked.

Of course the women were scared.  Of course they were filled with Joy. It was an incredibly intense time.  Their leader, whom they fully believed was God, had just been crucified. No matter how many times He tried to explain to them what would happen, the message was not fully received.  How many times do we let our perception of situations, and our expectation of certain outcomes hinder the way we see reality?


An Angel.  A Big POWERFUL (not your harp playing, arrow shooting little cherub), face like lightning, ANGEL told them that Jesus was no longer there.  He had been raised from the dead, like they had been told.  Go. Tell the disciples. He will meet you in Galilee.

Sometimes life is SO BIG that even when we are confronted with something amazing, we are terrified! Sometimes the reality of God is SO ASTOUNDING that we don't know what to do with ourselves.  Sometimes the physical presence of God and His call on your life is SO POWERFUL that all the emotions that you have ever felt all roll together into one, and you CLING to your Savior for dear life.

Application:


Okay. Big revelation explained:

As I was typing that sentence, the Lord showed me a picture of the blessing we believe that He is providing us in the house that we looked at yesterday.  When we walked up to the house, it just felt right.  When we walked inside, I instantly had goosebumps on my arms.  I could see us living there.  I could see Bible Studies happening there.  I could see my boys growing up there.  I could see people coming to the Lord there.

Here is the fear part. In truth, I have been clinging to God for dear life ever since we saw the place because:

1) We love it.
2) We are afraid that WE love it more than we are listening/hearing whether it is the right place.
3) The rent is a little bit higher than the maximum price that we had set based on our budget.

So, along with the picture of the house (in slideshow mode) in my head, I heard in my heart:
"You are clinging to me for dear life.  Don't be afraid like that.  I am with you."

It's time for a little honesty.
I do not have any trouble believing that God is who He says He is, and can do what He says He can do. I believe that in Christ, I can do all things.

What I have trouble with is truly believing that the All-Powerful God that created the HEAVEN AND EARTH is actively involved and taking care of ALL of the details.  It is just..... something I am learning over and over again.  I know that He will.  But my default mode is sometimes .... panic.

"You are clinging to me for dear life.  Don't be afraid like that.  I am with you."

Prayer:


Wow, God.
I am so sorry for the years of knowing you that I have MISSED OUT on hearing from you like this.
Thank you.
Thank you so much.
I have no words today, other than thank you.
Accept my tears as my offering,

With deep humility,
Your daughter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar