Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Don't LET yourself be distracted - BTG Mark 13

I am blogging through the Gospels with Amy from Mom's Toolbox, and have been learning so much.
You should check it out!


----------------------------------------------------------


Reading:  Mark 13

Scripture:  Mark 13 : 35 - 36



35 “Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back—whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. 36 If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. 37 What I say to you, I say to everyone: ‘Watch!’”


Observation:


We have no idea when Jesus is going to return.
We have no idea what the day is going to bring.

The one thing that we can be sure of is: We will not last forever, and we are nearing the end of this chapter of Earth's existence.

We must not ALLOW ourselves to be distracted from our focus on our MISSION to bring the Gospel to all people, whether our influence is in our neighborhood, city, state, country or world.

We must not ALLOW ourselves to be distracted by the cares and trivialities of this life.


Application:


I am exhausted this morning.  This is the busiest week that I have ever had professionally, and as a mother of two with a husband that is working nights, having to arrange childcare and child transportation and juggling a lot of details, I am wiped out-- and the week is not even half over yet.

While I was LISTENING I decided to try keeping my eyes open so that I wouldn't fall asleep. (Although I am sitting on a couch, with a foam roller wedged up against my spine, so I am not exactly comfortable... but I am that tired.)   All of a sudden I was looking at the movies on the table in front of me and how guilty I feel for not exercising.  Then I shook it off and looked up at the blinds.  Then I started thinking about how we have to clean the blinds, windows and wash the curtains before we move.   At that point the divine light bulb went off, I closed my eyes, and listened to my God warn about distraction.

In this passage, it is talking about watching and waiting expectantly for the return of our Savior.  But in our walk with the Lord, we need to be watchful, attentive and focused.  I know myself, and my bed felt so comfortable this morning, but I KNEW that I needed to hear from my God today.

Distractions come in all forms.
TV Shows.
TO DO Lists
Busy Schedules
Lazy Schedules
Music -- even Christian music
Family
Friends

It is so easy to lose our focus, and forget our mission ---  even sometimes when we are doing good things.  It is so easy to get distracted.

What I heard from my God today was to control my mind.  Take captive every thought, and not to ALLOW my mind to get distracted.

Prayer:


Lord -- help me.  This is a big area for me.  I know that we have been trying to deal with it half-heartedly for some time.  But I sense the urgency.

Thank you for meeting me here again this morning.
Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar