Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Blogging through the Gospels: Matthew 19

Blogging through the Gospels  with Amy from Mom's Toolbox is changing my life. Join us!


Reading:
Matthew 19


Scripture:
Matthew 19: 27




27 Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”


Observation:
Jesus had just informed the rich man that his heart was tied up in his possessions, and that even though he was keeping all of the commandments, he still was far from the kingdom of God.  Peter's question is typical of the disciples:  "but what about us??" 


Application:
What is God wanting me to hear from this?


It is a loving, but firm rebuke.
I am sitting here, typing on my school issue MacBook, over my wi-fi internet connection, with my boys next to me, watching a live-streaming LeapFrog show over Netflix Instant on our Wii.  The weather is comfortable, our bellies are thinking about lunchtime.


We have everything we could possibly need.


What do I know of sacrifice?
What do I  know of giving up everything to follow Jesus?


And I just finished reading an amazing book:  Gray Matter by David Levy, MD and Joel Kirkpatrick.
Talk about challenging my faith. Living out loud. Being authentic about who we are, wherever we are.


Bottom line?
There is a lot of work to be done.
A lot.
Big.




Prayer:
Dear Jesus,


I am so overwhelmed today.
It's Good Friday.
Jesus, you gave everything for me, that I might know you, and be set free by your ultimate act of love.
There are no words that will express the enormity of what you have done, and what I am feeling.
There are no words to express my gratitude, and my humility.
I can't even begin.
Well... I could begin, but it is hard to parent as a uncontrollably sobbing mess, even if they are good tears.


So, I remain,
broken.
In awe,
and thankful.

Amen.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar