Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Mark 3: 1 - 6

Yesterday was Day 73 of the Bible in 90 Days. I finished up the gospel of Matthew, and started the gospel of Mark.  As I read the third chapter, I was struck with an unbearable sadness.

1.  Another time he went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there.   2. Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath.  3. Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, "Stand up in front of everyone."  4.  Then Jesus asked them, "Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?"  But they remained silent.  5. He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, "Stretch out your hand."  He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored.  6.  Then the Pharisees went out and began to plot with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus.

NIV (blueletterbible.org)

It's one thing to know what the plan.  To be involved in creating the plan, and agreeing that it will be the perfect solution.  Knowing in your head that the people that are representing you have nothing but rules and pride in their hearts, and that the lost people that you are desperate to save have no help in them.

Even knowing all of that, how Jesus' heart must have broken to see just how far from the heart of God the Pharisees and Saducees were.  For them to be putting all of the faith, strength, energy and WORSHIP into RULES, and ignoring the heart of God completely.  What kind of faith is that?  Their hearts were so hardened to TRUE peace, compassion and love, that even when Jesus challenged them --- without them even saying a word to him-- they were unmoved.

I don't know exactly what has led to the change in my heart.  I have read that passage before, but it has never affected me so deeply.  I don't know if it because I am in the middle of the Bible in 90 Days, or if it is because of everything that God is doing in our lives and the great burden I feel for the people of the town that we have been called to.  Whatever the change, I am grateful for it.  I will take a heavy heart.  I will take a broken heart. I will weep for the lost.  I will pray for the broken, I will pray for the hurting.  I will open my heart, and arms for the ones that God brings to me.






Hosanna

The bridge of this song is ringing over and over in my heart and mind.
"Break my heart with what breaks yours..."

May you find an empty vessel, and a willing spirit in me, my Savior.

Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar