Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Praying Through the Gospels, Matthew 2 - 3

Blogging through the Gospels with Amy, from Mom's Toolbox

Reading:  Matthew 2- 3

Scripture:   Matthew 2:13 - 15  and 19 - 23

13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. "Get up," he said, "take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him."
14 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt,
where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Out of Egypt I called my son."


----
19 After Herod died, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt
20 and said, "Get up, take the child and his mother and go to the land of Israel, for those who were trying to take the child's life are dead."
21 So he got up, took the child and his mother and went to the land of Israel.
22 But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning in Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Having been warned in a dream, he withdrew to the district of Galilee,

23 and he went and lived in a town called Nazareth. So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets: "He will be called a Nazarene."



Observation:

God provided the escape plan, protecting them from a mad king.  God sent angels, or warnings in dreams.  Joseph didn't question, he just did as he was told.  He didn't let what HE thought should happen interfere with what God was TELLING him to do.


Application:

I have to believe that God will be active and direct in his leading of us.  I have to surrender control, and my ideas of how this church plant, the relocation of our family, where my youngest will go to daycare now that we are moving.... all of the details that have the tendency to...  make fret a little.
  (Translation: Stress me out, make me overwhelmed and grumpy!!)

I do believe that God is involved and active in our lives.  But sometimes it's hard to know just how far to step out in faith while waiting for his direction.   I long for:  "Meredith.  You will not eat that piece of cake, because you will regret it in three days when you get on the scale."  or "Meredith, you do NOT need to be blogging right now, you need to be cleaning your kitchen."

Or....  "My child, I love you, and I am holding you in the palm of my hand.  Trust me, let go and let me carry you.  You are precious to me, and I know exactly what you are supposed to do next.  Quiet your mind, and listen."

Hmm.
Maybe I already do hear his voice, and the trouble is that I am not listening.


Prayer:

Oh Lord...
I am desperate for more of you.  I cannot do this on my own.  When I am in my own strength, I am giving myself migraines from gritting my teeth against the things that I am TRYING not to say... or the things that I am TRYING not to do.

Please, I know that you are here.  I know that you are holding me, you are with me, and you are in me.  How is it possible, when you are EVERYWHERE, that I am even ABLE to do things in my own strength?  Help me to feel your presence at all times.  Help me to quiet my mind, so that I can hear your voice.  Help me...  I need to get OUT of the way.

Thank you for your immeasurable blessings.
I am humbled, awed and grateful.

Amen.



1 comments:

Lisa Stone said...

Meredith,
What a timely message for me! I struggle so with letting go and surrendering to His will. I am a classic control freak (without the superclean house) and I tend to think I know best what should be happening in my life. What a wonderful reminder that I need to let go and let God. Praying for you as you start on your new adventure!

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar