Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Not just listen: Hear and Understand. Blogging through the #Gospels, Luke 9B

Blogging through the Gospels  with Amy from Mom's Toolbox.




Reading:  Luke 9 :28 - 62

Scripture:  Luke 9: 35

35 A voice came from the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him.”

Observations:


What an endorsement.
From heaven a cloud descends, and a voice booms.
"This is my SON."


How blessed are we to have the accounts of these four Gospels.  We have the benefit of knowing the end of the story before we even get to the middle of the story.  The disciples, and the other people who decided to follow Jesus had only his words and actions, and often times they didn't understand what he meant.

We can look at the whole picture and see clearly the plan that God orchestrated from Genesis 1:1 through the crucifixion and ascension.  We have it so easy.

The followers in the time of Jesus believed that He was Messiah.
But they all had different ideas of how He would save them.

They listened to Him.
But their own expectations of how Messiah would save their people prevented them from hearing Him.

Application:


I need to not just listen.
I need to hear, and understand.


Lord, may I not be satisfied with just reading the words.
May I always seek the true meaning of the Gospels, the epistles, the whole counsel of Your word that you have left for us.

Help me to hear, and understand.




Prayer:


Lord,
I have it so much easier.
I don't have to guess what the parables were supposed to mean.
I don't have to guess what you were talking about when you were painting a picture of your crucifixion.

I want to take advantage of the knowledge of whole story that we have been given.

Help me choose to listen.
Help me choose to hear you.

Above all....
help me to continually choose You.


Amen.

1 comments:

The Farmer Files said...

There is the one word that matters: Choose. ;)

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar