Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Blogging through the #Gospels: John 3



Blogging through the Gospels with Amy, from Mom's Toolbox.
-------------------------




Reading:  John 3

Scripture:  John 3 : 12

12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?

Observations:

Jesus is talking to Nicodemus, who is trying to wrap his head around the concept of being born again.

Another observation: Jesus starts every response to Nicodemus with, "I tell you the truth."  (Or an equivalent, based on translations.)

Application:


I knew that this was the verse that God was showing me, but I didn't understand why. It was something I would have taken notes on in a Bible study, but I didn't know how to apply it to my life.

So, I dutifully set my timer (something I have been pretty lax about) for five minutes, and just listened.
And then I understood.

I am a teacher. I have 100 band students ranging in age from 5th grade through 12th grade.
What I felt in my heart was the Lord re-affirming to me my callings --- both as a teacher, and now as a missionary of sorts in the same town.  I have wrestled with how the two roles were supposed to interact. What I heard today was that the two callings are separate.  But I am the same.  The same crazy, wild about Jesus, singing lady will be teaching in the schools, as well as starting a church plant.  The same lady will be grocery shopping in the tiny, overcrowded grocery store, taking the boys to the playground.

My focus at school is earthly things.  The nuts and bolts of reading music. Playing an instrument.  Keeping commitments.  Being a part of a team.  Believing in yourself. Dedication.  Focus on one thing, as part of a whole thing, at the same time.

Because I am me, living out my faith in the open, the Lord has opened doors with students who already have faith, and we have been able to discuss spiritual things.

Because I am His, he has given me discernment at times to know who is hurting and needs prayer.

My focus in my community is the people.  To interact with all with the love of Christ.  To let the light that is within me, shine...  Even when dealing with a disobedient almost 5 year old, and a hungry 15 month old.  Even when dealing with people who are only here for a few weeks and spend the whole time complaining.  Even when I have nothing left to give.  My job is not about my strength.  It is about letting Jesus loves these people through me.


So while the application doesn't really seem to really have much to do with John 3:12, it is the verse He used to answer, and lay to rest an internal struggle.


Prayer:

Wow, Lord.
Thank you for giving me the extra time this morning before almost 5 year old wakes up to hear from you so clearly.

I can feel you reassuring, reaffirming.  To keep doing what I am already doing.
You brought to mind the face of a precious colleague, and you showed me that I am already letting you love through me at school.  And then you brought to mind another scenario that I still need to work on. Please forgive me for being part of some of the gossip.  Help me to withstand, and to remove myself when necessary.

Thank you for the ways that you are preparing me for ministry-- or life in general, as I am beginning to see it.

I am humbled by your love. I am completely overwhelmed.

Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar