Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blogging through the #B90Days: Day 3 - GOD doesn't play favorites

Blogging through the Bible in 90 Days with Amy (and lots, and lots of others) at Mom's Toolbox.

Day 3:  Genesis 28:20 - 40:11


Scripture:  


Genesis 29:30
Then Jacob also went in to Rachel, and he also loved Rachel more than Leah....

Genesis 37:3
Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of this old age.  Also he made him a tunic of many colors.



Observations:


Favoritism is not the best policy.


Jacob loved Rachel.  If Laban had not tricked Jacob into marrying Leah first?  Well, Jacob would not have a baseball team (plus some) of sons.  But in doing so, because Jacob did not hide that his affection was for Rachel only, he created a deep bitterness between the two sisters.

In Genesis 37:3, it says that he loved Joseph more because he was the son of his old age... but we all know that it was because he was Rachel's boy.

Most parents know the ill effects of showing blatant favoritism among your children.
Choruses of "it's NOT FAIR" abound.  Bitterness and anger hover in the air.  But worst case scenario??
The other siblings gang up on the favored and decide to sell him into slavery.

Yikes.   If that isn't a deterrent, then I don't know what would be!



Application:


God, You do not play favorites.

You have given each of us a job to do, and given each of us the tools and strength to complete it.
From your vantage point, we are all working together to create a Grand Design.  There are no unimportant jobs, no unimportant people.

 Your design is to reach all people with the news of Your love, and you see no difference between a man who humbly sweeps floors and cleans toilets, and a man who stands on a stage, teaching Your Word to thousands.  You see no difference between a woman with a thriving ministry, reaching hundreds of thousands of women for Christ, and a young mother with two small children, raising them from home.

You do not play favorites.


Prayer:


Oh Lord,
How grateful I am that You are my Provider.  And that just like Sarai found, You are the God who sees me.

You are such an artist, Lord.  I pray that I would remember that my job is whatever You have given me to do. And if I do my job, then I am fulfilling my purpose in your Grand Design.

Thank you for not playing favorites among Your people.
Thank you for not giving up on us humans that do.


I am so overwhelmed by your Love, and especially your Mercy.
Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar