Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Blogging through the #Gospels: John 13 - Humility

Blogging through the Gospels with Amy, from Mom's Toolbox.


Reading:  John 13

Scripture:  John 13: 14 - 15

14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.


Observations:


I love that Peter is one of the disciples.
We see the other disciples acting petty at times, but never with the flair of Peter.

His pride needed to be broken. Seriously broken- or he would never be any use to Jesus.  He was full of confidence in his own ability to be faithful, and to follow.

Humility:  seeing ourselves as we truly are, in comparison to the infinite glory of Christ.

Jesus chose the most shocking example of servitude to demonstrate His point.
When guests arrived at a home, the master of the house would offer water, to wash the dust off of the traveler's feet.  Sometimes a servant would be on hand to administer the task.

But never did the master of the house perform the task himself.


8 Peter said to Him, “You shall never wash my feet!”
Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.”
9 Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!”


While I believe that Peter's reaction is more about Jesus lowering Himself, and Peter not feeling worthy to have His Lord performing such a base task, the root is still pride.

When Jesus answers Him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me," Peter realizes his mistake and with characteristic zeal offers his whole body to be washed.  Jesus assured that only the feet were getting washed that day.

After He had finished the task, He explained that He had given them the standard. Serve one another.  In reaching hearts for the Lord, there are no jobs, no tasks that are "below" them.  The true measure of a man is not his list of accomplishments, but his heart and willingness to serve.

Application:


Oh there are so many places that I need to hear and apply this lesson.

In my home: I need to serve my family by making every effort to keep our home clean.
In my classroom:  I need to serve my students by being more organized, and therefore more efficient.
In my heart: I need to remember my definition of humility.

Humility:  seeing ourselves as we truly are, in comparison to the infinite glory of Christ.

Prayer:


Lord,

This reminder is needed.
Even though it stings.
(But you knew that already.)

Thank you for your kind rebuke.
Help me.

Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar