Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Blogging through the #Gospels: John 17

Blogging through the Gospels with Amy, from Mom's Toolbox.

Reading: John 17

Scripture:  John 17:15


15 I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.


Observations:
In this part of the prayer, Jesus is praying for all of the believers that came to faith during His life on Earth.  In the next section, He prays for all people who will ever come to faith in Him!

Jesus is praying for protection for the believers from the evil one.
And we know that when Jesus prays for something, we should probably take note of it.

We have a purpose here on Earth.  Unfortunately, believing in the One is not an immediate ticket up to heaven.  There is work to be done.  Matthew 9: 37 tells us:  “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few."

So we have work to do. And can we expect smooth sailing while we are doing what needs to be done?
No.

I Peter 5:8 tells us that:  (o)ur enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

So we are to live out the lives we have been given, saved by grace, and spread love and hope to the world.  But, even knowing that we have an enemy prowling around us, we take comfort in the fact that the Savior of the world is praying for us.


Application:


Every couple of years I go through a time where I have to actively remind myself that it is not about me.
My quality of life, and my level of comfort are not what matter in the long run.  In Heaven, after my life is over, are they going to care what I had a complete Willow Tree Nativity set, or matching couches in our living room?  Will my gadgets impress?

No.
My accounts will only detail what I did to advance His Kingdom while I was here on Earth.

The good news is that the God who created me has not created a "spiritual checklist" to which we all must adhere.  If my matching couches help me to invite people into my home, and share the love of my Savior, the means do not diminish the result.  If my Willow Tree Nativity set sparks a conversation about the true meaning of Christmas, or my gadgets allow me to show off different ways one can have access to the Word, the means to not diminish the result.

So -- applying all of this to my life:

Jesus is praying for me,  for protection from the evil one.
I am to continue on my current course, living my life to share the love that I have been given.
Remember that my life has a purpose that has nothing to do with my level of comfort.
Keep my eyes focused on You, and be alert at all times.

Prayer:


Lord,
Help me to stay focused on the plan.
I am so self-centered. (So human.)
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to live my life for You.
Please don't give up on me.

Amen.






Delete this element to display blogger navbar