Pages

About Me

My name is Meredith, and I am the mother of two awesome boys; the wife of a fantastic husband; the band director for 100 students in grades 5 - 12 in a small community in Maine; and a follower of Christ. This blog is a place for me to reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Blogging through the #Gospels: John 21

Blogging through the Gospels with Amy, from Mom's Toolbox.


Reading:  John 21


Scripture:  John 21: 15 - 17



15 So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of Jonah,[b] do you love Me more than these?”
He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “Feed My lambs.”
16 He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of Jonah,[c] do you love Me?”
He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “Tend My sheep.”
17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah,[d] do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?”
And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep.


Observations:


Three times Peter denied Jesus after he had been taken away.
Here, Jesus restores Peter, by giving him three chances to proclaim his love.  After each time, Jesus gently commands Peter to "feed my sheep" and "tend my lambs."

Not only has Jesus given Peter the chance to make up for denying Jesus, He has given him a new mission.

Application:


After a betrayal like that, it would be reasonable to expect that the individual would no longer be trusted with important ministry work.  It would be reasonable for human nature, but not our gracious, redeeming Savior!

I need to remember that life has a learning curve.
Discipleship is a lifelong process.
People (including (especially) me) make mistakes as we learn to follow Jesus.

Human nature is to write off anyone that betrays us.
Build up walls to protect us from further hurt.

Jesus' nature was to open His arms wide, and risk the hurt again, and again.
He loves us too much to give up on us in the process of learning.


Prayer:


Lord,
Thank you so much for loving us with such a complete, patient and overwhelming love.
Help me to remember that we are all  in progress.

With complete gratitude,
Amen

Delete this element to display blogger navbar